Saturday, February 26, 2011

Should we eat breakfast?

Meat is good, but carbohydrates are bad. No snacking between meals. Fat is good, but saturated fat is bad. Spinach is good, but kale is better. Eat more smaller meals throughout the day. Eat only raw food.
Everywhere we turn there is a new diet book, study being published, or celebrity endorsement that holds the key to "weight loss" and a "healthy lifestyle". As we talked about in class, this is one of the many reasons Americans have such a "disordered" relationship with food.
The article, "Diet: Bigger Breakfast, Bigger Calorie Count" was published on January 28th, 2011 in the New York Times. The article states the results of a study that found eating breakfast does not in fact reduce the amount of food a person will eat the rest of the day.
As I read this I felt myself becoming anxious. I consider breakfast vitally important when it comes to starting my day. I love eating breakfast and feel good about doing so. I have long believed, "Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince, and dinner like a Pauper" and "breakfast gets your metabolism going and causes you to eat less later on in the day".
With all of the new research it is very easy to get caught up in what we should and shouldn't be eating. Especially when you can essentially find a book that supports any type of diet. So what are we to do?
In my opinion, we must learn to trust our instincts. I have been eating breakfast for years and am not going to stop just because one study says that I may end up consuming more calories.

My favorite breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment