Monday, February 28, 2011

Sigŭmch'i Much'im.


A traditional Korean dinner usually consists of rice and many little dishes, called banch'an. I do not know much the banch'an culture in Korea has evolved due to many different influences within the past century. But for me, I still eat the banch'an that my parents and grandparents brought with them when they came to America in the late 1970s. One of my favorite banch'an dishes is sigŭmch'i much'im (pronounced shi-geum-ch'i moo-ch'im). This banch'an is fairly easy to make. All you need are spinach, minced garlic, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and salt. Because these ingredients are fairly easy to find in non-Korean supermarkets, my mom used to make them for our family very often. Ever since I was little, even though I was a very picky eater, this was one of the very few banch'an I would actually eat. In fact, I loved this dish so much that I was shocked to find that, according to my parents, not very many kids in Korea today like this dish. I am still unsure to what extent this statement is true. But from the people I have met who are from Korea, they told me that they do not eat this banch'an as much as I do. But then again, I'm a little weird because I eat this dish all the time...

2 comments:

  1. I love sigumchi! Especially when you eat it with rice + red pepper paste :D yum yum. It's delicious when it's warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I've never tried it warm! Haha. I'll have to try the next time I go home! C:

    ReplyDelete