Sunday, February 13, 2011

Define American Food.



When my mom asks me if I want American food or Korean food for dinner, my answer makes its way out of my mouth even before she finishes her question; of course I wanted American food. She then proceeds to make the usual hot dogs or some variant of macaroni and cheese, always with more mac and less cheese. But there is something wrong with this scenario. Didn't hot dogs, or at least sausages, originate in Germany? And if you look up the history of macaroni and cheese on wikipedia, it says that it takes root in England. So then what made these dishes American but not the dishes my mom made, such as ddukboki (a spicy rice cake dish, to say the least) with ketchup or the kimbap (see picture above) with spam? What is American food and who defines it?

No comments:

Post a Comment