Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Addendum: Female Recongnition

I was semi-aware of the gender disparity in professional cooking. Better put, I am cognizant of socio-economic inequality women continue to face in the 21st century and, by extension, the food service industry is probably no exception. But I never thought to single out this industry as an egregious offender. Somehow, I naively thought Julia Child felled the greatest social obstacles preventing female culinary success. My delusional world was (mildly) intrigued in Pixar's Ratatouille, which decidedly integrated the "female struggle" into the plot. Turns out children's media is more on point and out-spoken than a majority of revered culinary institutions. I went down the rabbit hole looking for more thoughts. My conclusions en reduction: women are faced with severe and upsetting challenges.

Here's one of many articles I found

No comments:

Post a Comment