Friday, February 18, 2011

Rice Pudding


If I could have an unlimited, constantly accessible supply of any one staple food, it would definitely be rice. The possibilities are endless - fried rice (with kimchi! or mushrooms! or eggs!), Chinese rice porridge (plain and bland for an upset tummy, or infused with hearty red beans and dates for other occasions), and of course, that classic American dessert-turned-breakfast, rice pudding. I have fond memories of waking up to a Mommy-made breakfast of warm rice pudding, which seemed to be almost as protective as an extra sweater in my preparations to endure Wisconsin's winters on my way to school. I suppose that when I brought in the big bowl of rice pudding to our class on Thursday, the circumstances weren't exactly the same (admittedly, I don't think I'm a mommy figure to anyone in ENG 119). But it is always nice to inject some semblance of comfort and variety into the mundanity of the meal plan lifestyle. Here's how I did it:


Use enough cooked rice to fill x hungry bellies (I used brown rice, but any kind works).
Add just enough milk to cover the rice.
Add a sliced banana or two, just for kicks.
Stir in as many raisins as you like, and add cinnamon and sugar to taste.
At this point, it's best to refrigerate the mixture overnight, because the raisins will plump up, and I think that the spices will infuse, or something like that. The next day, since all of the ingredients are already cooked, your only task is to warm it thoroughly in the microwave before serving. C'est tout!

Of course, you have endless possibilities to play with this process. I'm sure that any milk is acceptable (e.g. soy or chocolate milks... rice milk might be a bit redundant), cinnamon can be enhanced by adding cloves or cardamom, and raisins can be replaced with craisins or dried cherries (maybe an almond-cherry rice pudding would be good!). For those with exotic tastes and access to a kitchen, this blog describes how to make coconut-mango kheer, or Indian rice pudding, on the stove. Or if you're frugal but hungry, you can forage for inspiration and ingredients in the dining hall and let your whims be your guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment