Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pumpkin Butter Swirl Butternut Pecan Bread


..aka the recipe with a title that's almost as long as its ingredient list! This is the bread I made for the class on February, 10th. I found this recipe on a vegan blog, Oh She Glows. Until very recently I was intimidated by vegan baking. The ingredients seemed so strange and the idea of cooking without eggs or butter seemed unfathomable. However, after reading several vegan food blogs for a few months the mouth watering pictures won me over and I became more and more curious about how these egg-less, butter-less recipes would actually taste.

So, when I had to pick something to make for the class I figured it would be fun to try a vegan recipe. I was most apprehensive about the “flax seed egg”. I mixed 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of warm water and let it sit for 2 minutes per the package directions. While waiting for my egg to gel I googled “vegan flax egg” curious as to others results with this seemingly strange egg substitute. I found an article from the NY times on baking with flax where they had refrigerated the flax for an hour. A quick glance at the clock confirmed that I didn't have that time. I gave my flax one last stir and with a quick prayer to the vegan baking gods mixed it into the other wet ingredients.

55 minutes later I pulled out the bread and cut into it, half expecting it to crumble into my hands. However, it seemed just like “normal” bread. I would never have known that flax was used instead of egg. Overall I was fairly pleased with the recipe. But, if I were to make it again I would do a few things differently. I would disperse the pumpkin butter more evenly. This time it ended up being more of a frosting than a swirl. I would also add a few more tablespoons of nuts, I thought it could have had a bit more of a crunch factor. In the end though I am pretty pleased with my first vegan baking experience. Plus, there are some vegan dough balls I have been eying so I know exactly what I am doing with the left over ingredients!

Note: In the recipe, I used pumpkin instead of butternut squash, whole wheat flour instead of spelt and left out (accidentally!) the oil.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing these in, and for sharing the recipe, Astrid. I'm generally skeptical of vegan foods--I tend toward the Bourdain model, in terms of butter consumption--but these were really good.

    ReplyDelete