Sunday, March 27, 2011

Overnight Oats



When I was younger I hated breakfast. Cereal was too soggy, toast too boring and oatmeal too gummy. However, when I got to Smith everything changed. For me, breakfast has become the most important meal of the day. For the most part I eat at the dining hall but some mornings I do my own thing. One of my favorite breakfasts is Overnight Oats in a Jar. I have seen this recipe on several different blogs, Oh She Glows has several posts on them that can be seen here. When I have an almost empty jar of nut butter I add 1/3 cup of rolled oats, 1 cup of almond milk, 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and 1/2 of a thinly sliced banana. I mix everything really well and leave it in the fridge overnight.


The chia seeds have a gelling property which makes the oats really thick and pudding like. The bananas really permeate the oatmeal which gives it a natural sweetness. Overall, a delicious, refreshing breakfast! I usually top my oats with the other half of my banana or whatever fruit I have on hand. For those of you not familiar with chia seeds check them out here. They're relatively inexpensive when bought in bulk and you can do so much with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment