Sunday, March 27, 2011

ginger tea - a favorite remedy


Over the weekend, I managed to catch somewhat of a cold - sore throat, runny nose, hoarse voice, the usual. Naturally, I'm coping by chain-drinking bottles of warm water with honey and lemon, but what I'd really love is a cup of ginger tea. Last year when I was living in China, my roommate suggested that I drink some to soothe my throat. She made me my first cup - she sliced up a good hunk of fresh ginger, boiled it for maybe ten minutes (the longer your boil, the spicier the tea), decanted it into my mug, then gave me brown sugar to add. According to some sources, ginger has a laundry list of medicinal properties - it can treat indigestion, respiratory ailments, motion sickness, fevers... and it can even be used to "gain the affection of a woman"! At any rate, it's a delicious and honestly comforting tea.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds good and simple to make. I will definitely try it. I also like peppermint tea, which is also believed to relieve digestive problems and cold symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago I got a bottle of ginger tea mix from the Korean market on route 9 in Hadley. It's a sort of sweet jelly mixture with generous hunks of ginger in it: you mix a couple teaspoons full into hot water, and suddenly YOU'RE NOT SICK ANYMORE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom makes this for me when I get sick too! Works every time. C:

    ReplyDelete