Friday, March 4, 2011

My Future Goals

As a Senior, I am constantly worrying about where I will end up next year. It's a very much "living in the now" attitude; applying for jobs, grad school, anything that will provide some form of a salary. BUT. When it comes down to it, I really just want a simple life, preferably filled with good food, as that is the thing that makes me truly happy.

Today I came across an article that addressed this idea with the elderly. Fried chicken, caramel sauce right out of the jar - this is the way to live! What bothers me though is that these indulgences seem to be "okay" because the people consuming the comforting foods are old. This is certainly NOT the way I want to live my own life. In moderation, of course, I hope to live everyday like the people represented in this article. They say that they deserve to indulge because they're old. I want to be able to indulge everyday, because what is life without good and tasty food?

This weekend I went home for some R&R before midterms. I spent the day making ribollita - a Tuscan soup with loads of veggies and country bread, brioche dough to turn into morning sticky buns, and homemade oreos for my acapella group. Like fried chicken, these are all simple foods, but they bring me and others so much pleasure - and I hope that this pleasure will continue throughout the rest of my life . . .not just when I'm OLD!!

Here's the link to the article if you are so inclined!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Elder.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

No comments:

Post a Comment