Sunday, April 24, 2011

VegNews Is In Trouble

On the New York Times website, I stumbled upon this article about a Vegan magazine called “VegNews” that used pictures of meat. As I was reading the New York Times article, I was chuckling a little because I was confused as to why a Vegan magazine would ever use pictures of meat? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of a VEGAN magazine? In one of the pictures a slab of ribs was made to appear meatless by airbrushing out the bones. Also, hamburgers, hotdogs and ice cream appeared as meatless or diary free.

Once the news leaked about what VegNews was doing, readers used Facebook, twitter, blogs and other online forums to express their anger. Even though I am not a vegetarian or vegan, I understand their anger. One reader expressed her/his feelings pretty well, she/he said “to have craved any of the foods featured here, because now I feel I was craving animals.” The magazine company is hoping this will not hurt their image or turn readers away but how could it not? If I were a vegan, who had just heard about this, I would think twice before purchasing one of these magazines again

Here is the link to the Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/science/earth/19vegan.html?ref=nutrition

No comments:

Post a Comment