Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Subtly Smaller Package

In order to hide higher food prices, companies are selling slightly smaller packages of food for the same price of the previously larger packages. They are attempting to hide this change in quantity by making these changes subtle. Bags of chips now contain more air than they used to. Boxes of pasta are the same height and width so that they appear to be the same size they've always been, but now the depth is smaller. Jars of peanut butter have scoops in the bottom so that they appear the same size but hold less. Canned products are slowly decreasing from 16 ounces to 15 and then 14. Some companies are completely changing packaging to disguise this change in quantity by promising more fresh or environmentally friendly packaging.

Even I have to admit that I haven't noticed this change. As a student who is not on the meal plan, I have to buy groceries every week. Even though I've always considered myself an observant person, I haven't seemed to notice that packages are smaller or that I've been paying more for groceries. In fact, I always pay about the same every week. But looking back, I have noticed that many products have switched to "greener" packaging and that bags of chips do seem to have more air. The next time I go to the grocery store, I will definitely pay more attention to the weight and volume of what I am buying.







No comments:

Post a Comment