Friday, April 29, 2011

What's It Called?


Every time that I have tried to have a conversation about one certain food I find that it is nearly impossible to talk about due to the confusion over its name. This breakfast dish is made by cutting a hole in a piece of bread and frying an egg in the hole. Usually then it is flipped and it makes a nice little breakfast treat. The thing that I find fascinating about this food is that almost every person that I talk to about it tells me that there family had a different name for it than any other I have heard before. On Wikipedia the page is called "Egg in a Basket" but here is the list of names they give for it:

egg in a the basket
bird's nest
bull's eye eggs
cowboy eggs
egg-in-the-hole
egg(s) in a frame
eggs in a blanket
elephant egg bagel (when made using a bagel rather than bread)
frog in a hole
toad in a hole
gas house eggs
moon eggs
Sunshine Toast
Alabama eggs
Rocky Mountain toast
Magic Egg

To this I could even add other names that I have heard, particularly "Spit in the eye," and "One eyed toast."

I don't know why there are so many names for this food. I couldn't really even figure it out from googling many of these names. However, I think that even if we don't know why, it is fun to imagine how this relatively wide-spread food has changed and adapted so many different names over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment